The Detroit Watch Company is offering a new 39mm collection aptly named L’Horloge, French for clock.
The L’Horloge design is influenced by nostalgic old world clocks and holds significance for Old City Hall’s clock tower, once the centerpiece of the city of Detroit and now part of Detroit’s forgotten past.
Dedicated in 1871, the clock tower was once the largest clock in the United States and was designed especially for Detroit with its four dials illuminated at night so that thousands of Detroiters could see the time and set their watches.
At ground-level, a floral timepiece display in front of Old City Hall would become a popular Detroit symbol and destination for many getting their photo taken as would be the clock tower, the site of Detroiters ringing in the New Year until the landmark’s demise in 1961.
Likewise, the venerable Union Depot, an ornament to the city that once stood downtown at Third Avenue and Fort Street in 1893, with it’s massive four-clock tower, served as a proud landmark and offered the first views and impressions of Detroit. Union Depot received visitors from all over the country to work at Detroit’s factories, whereas others bid farewell to loved ones on the depot’s train platforms as they headed off to war.
Union Depot served Detroiters for more than 80 years and although it too was destroyed in 1974, L'Horloge commemorates the illustrious history of the old world clocks of Detroit's past landmarks.
L'Horloge timepiece as designed by the Detroit Watch Company. Polished 39mm case. Automatic self-winding Swiss movement with date window. Crown with black and silver Detroit Fleur-de-Lys. Raised secondary dial in enamel look finish with roman numerals. Calfskin leather band with deployant clasp.
Limited to 50 numbered pieces per model. You may reserve a specific serial number when ordering based on availability.
- Caliber: Swiss Sellita SW200 Automatic & Manual winding, 26 Jewels, Shock-absorber-Novodiac, Date Calendar, 28800 Vibrations Per Hour, 38 hour power reserve
- Functions: Display by means of hands, hours, minutes, seconds. date display in window
- Case: 39 mm Diameter polished stainless steel, 11mm overall height. 42mm lug to lug.
Crystal: Sapphire with Anti-reflective coating
- Water Resistant: 5 Atmospheres, 50m/165ft
- Dial: Multi piece with enamel look upper dial indexes
- Strap: Calf leather with deployant clasp with quick release spring bars
Ships next business day.
Click here for our Returns & Exchange policy